Ziegler-Nichols Loop Tuning
The Ziegler-Nichols loop tuning protocol1) is a simple method to establishing the loop parameter values for a PI or PID control loop. This protocol is designed to optimize the loop for disturbance rejection.
Click here for the SLICE-QTC Manual.
Click here for the SLICE-QTC Quick Start Guide.
Click here for the SLICE-QTC API.
Click here for the SLICE-QTC web page.
Click here for the Github page for SLICE-QTC GUI.
Click here for the Github page for SLICE-QTC firmware revisions.
Click here for a Video Tutorial.
|There is the possibility for the loop to go unstable at too high gain. Use caution as gain is increased.|
- From the Home Screen, touch the Channel icon for the loop to be tuned
- Touch Settings > PID Params
- Choose a Set Point temperature
- Set Proportional Gain (KP) to 0
- Turn off Integral and Differential portions of the loop (TI & TD, respectively)
- While monitoring the error in temperature on rolling graph on the SLICE-QTC display or an external oscilloscope, slowly increase (~10% per increment) KP until the error begins to oscillate
- Note: the pause icon only pauses the graph, not the servo control
- Note KP where oscillations of increasing amplitude begin; this is KP, cr, the critical proportional gain.
- You can use the two rotary knobs or touch & drag the cursors on the touch screen
- Use the following table to set the values of KP, TI, and TD